Sunday 9 January 2011

Race Day - Caldicot National

So the first major meeting for me in 2011 is the Micro National at Caldicot. Once again the track is a superb one!

Practise
Practise was a frustrating one for me. I felt somewhat off the pace in my race with Phil Sleigh and Steve Biscoe laying down the law in Heat 7. It's difficult to tell as lap times aren't published but Craig Harris and Tony Bishop are looking good on Heat 8 and all eyes were on the Micro debutant and 1/10th Off Road hero Dave Belsten in Heat 6. Belsten was putting in some consistently quick laps.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Round 1
With Round 1 over Championship Leader Craig Harris has dominated with the only 21 lapper, Sleigh (driving the Carisma) was just off 21 laps, Danny Conway drove an excellent second half of his race to come in third, I was fourth with Bishop in fifth



 
From my point of view I was a bit disappointed with my race. I led the field off only to crash on the first corner. From then on myself and Sleigh traded crashes before Phil settled and pulled away.

I'd set my car up to go on Pins for Round 1 only for the heating to be turned off which meant a quick change back to my less favoured White Rally Blocks. The heating situation has caused a lot of discussion, if the heating stays on or off all day then that is good, if it keeps getting turned off and on then it will effect track conditions. At the start of Round 2 it's been turned back on but there is no sign of Harris will no doubt ensure it is turned off!




-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Round 2
For this round I have turned the start mode on the speed controller right down which will hopefully take away some of the aggression. Slow and steady appears to the order of the day. Let's hope we can get close to Harris!!

DID NOT GO TO PLAN!! - I failed to finish after the car stopped, it turns out to be a connection in the battery. I had gone on Pins and it's fair to sat it didn't work! Continued domination from Harris and a great drive from Bish sees him jump to second in the round




-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Round 3
This round has seen me move the shocks around a bit. I've gone to the outer hole on the front wishbones and moved in one hole on the rear shock tower. I'm trying to get the car more stable, I'm also back on White Rally Blocks

BETTER
Well that was a lot better, the felt as if it was a bit skiddy on the back end. I'm going back to my usual 80 weight shock oil on the rear and I'm going to move the shocks in again on the rear wishbone. I'm also going to change motor as I thought there was some cogging.

I'm sitting on 2 4s at the minute in fifth place. With a good clean run I have a chance of getting third or fourth. We'll see!







-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Round 4
I was looking great in Round 4 until the unthinkable happened and I stripped the spur gear! So it wasn't meant to be but I did qualify 5th. A top 5 finish is something I'd have taken at the start of the day. Harris poled, Sleigh qualified second, Conway was third and Bishop fourth.

As I was changing the spur gear for the final I tried the car to make sure the meshing was right, this unfortunately blew the new motor so the old one went back in!!
--------------------------------
FINAL
The final was a strange one, an early error from Bish allowed me to gain fourth place for a while until I fell off the table top and dropped to 7th. Harris dominated from start to finish with Conway a clear second. Thanks to a superb last few laps from Sleigh he promoted himself to third. It's been a long hard day but I have learnt more about the car ready for next time it's slippy!





Id like to give a special mention to young Morgan Rham who qualified 9th in the B Final and drove himself to 2nd and congrats to Dave Belsten for making the 'A' Final in his first (and probably only) Micro National

The next National sees is go to Swansea, the one I TQ'd last year and led until a motor blew! Let's hope for a better result this time!

No comments:

Post a Comment