Sunday 23 January 2011

Race Day - BWOC 4wd - Hereford

Another early start today as we head back down to Hereford for the 4wd version of British Winter Open Championships. Today sees more competition in 7 heats as well as drivers such as Simon Moss, Mat Dodd and Paul Robinson. It will be tougher to be a double A Finalist this weekend but that has to be the aim from my point of view.

As with any typical 1/10th Indoor Meeting I'm hopeful that we won't have to make many changes to the car and I'm confident there will be no tyre choice today, mini pins all the way!

Yesterday we ran an hour a round and there's no reason that we can't do that again with 7 heats so I'm hopeful we will once again see 6 qualifying rounds, more racing for the money!

Practice 1
I've been places in Heat 7 today for practice which once again looks a competitive heat.

Practice was ok, for the first half of the race I was still in 2wd mode and driving really easy. The transition between slippy and carpet is noticeable and is where I struggled most. Although dowager the end I was getting used to it.

Practice 2
For 2nd practice I've dropped to a 6.5 motor from the 5.5 and gone up a tooth to a 24. The idea is to try and calm the at down coming out of corners. Set up wise I think the car is there or there abouts. It was plenty quick enough in practice 1 so we'll see what this does

After that run it's fair to say I'm putting the 5.5 back in! The car was a bit slower down the straight and I didn't think the slower motor affected the car in the infield changed much.

Overall after practice I'm feeling a little less confident however we haven't been timed yet running round so it is difficult to say. It looks like it's going to be a close one again today and a top 10 finish is going to be tough

Drivers Briefing
Due to people having to travel a long distance to get home it's been decided today that there will be 5 rounds of qualifying with your best 2 to count, 10 points from 2 rounds could be needed to make the A Final

Round 1
Round 1 is always about keeping it clean and smooth for me. A lot of the drivers usually push a little too hard so there are valuable points to be had here

A couple of small errors early on were nearly costly but I managed to get into a rhythm and finish 3rd in the race about 6 seconds behind Sleigh and Stafford. It did however see me take 5th in the round





Round 2
We've left the car the same again for round 2. I'm looking for another clean run and hopefully another top 6 which should see me in and around the top 10 overall

Another 5th in round achieved and another clean run, that should see me in the A Final again this weekend. There's nothing to report in terms of car changes as there is nothing that needs doing!

I'm in a unique situation that where a 5th is the best I can achieve without people dropping out. That said the idea will be for me to keep taking points of anyone else that can get near so I need to keep going!




Round 3
Another 5th means I take points from some drivers but not all, Dave Poulter takes a 4th! Moss broke and errors from Yardy allowed Ellis to take the round! It felt as though my car was super aggressive in the early stages of his race and once the edge was off the LiPo. Second half of the race it was awesome! We've had a chat about taking the weight out of the car but I'm going to leave it in



Round 4
New tyres did not work and also there has been a few random scores which has seen me drop to 8th overall on 10 points!

I had an early error and from there I let everyone through and just tried to run the tyres in as best as possible!

Round 5
Breakages and drop outs prior to my heat gave me the opportunity to put an amazing run in and a near clean 19 lapper gave me a 4th in the round. It puts me ahead of Poulter into 7th. As predicted at the start of the day it's been very close today and I have a feeling the 3 legged finals will be no different!




A Final - Leg 1
A slow but steady start from me got me into 5th and a comfortable 5th. One crash later (on a corner I haven't crashed on all weekend) sees me drop into the chasing pack and I ended up 8th after a scrappy race with Helliwell.

A Final - Leg 2
That leg was a lot better from my point of view! It ended up as a 5th, if I'm being honest I'm never going to challenge any higher! Ellis and Truman went, Moss and Sleigh battled, in reality the 5th could be attributed to Yardy failing to finish.

A Final - Leg 3
This was a race of 2 battles. There was a 3 way battle between Ellis, Sleigh and Truman and with Yardy and Moss out it left Poulter, myself, Robertson and Williams to go for 4th. After much chopping and changing it was Keith Robertson who got that 4th, I strengthen my position with a 5th, a result that would see me 5th overall, what a result for me!




No comments:

Post a Comment