Sunday 19 December 2010

Caldicot Race Day Write Up

So race 1 is over and as you can see there is not a lot between the top 3. Craig is quicker though. Bish and I spent the race trading places and crashing at the same time!



Due to the size of the hall I felt I couldn't push on as much as I would have liked too so I'm going to go to the stiffer green spring on the rear, today is all about playing!
------------------------------
Round 2 sees me go quicker by 7 seconds but as you can see I am slightly off the pace!



The grip appears to have come up and I'm struggling on to the jumps. I'm fairly confident the stiffer spring on the back was not helping the car as there was no overall balance. I've decided to go to my usual Mini Pins and change the rear shocks back to my standard 40 weight with black springs. If this doesn't work I may go back to Round 1 set-up and spend some time learning the car. We'll see....
----------------------------------
Well that was a lot better for me! Back to something I know and it's paid off. On Pins the car felt slightly more on edge, I do need to calm down with the car a little. Craig did a 'Bish' from the previous round and battered TQ Time, despite my first 19 lapper I'm still a couple of seconds slower than Bish overall. I do now hold the fastest lap of the day (across all classes)



This is where I stick with the set up now. As long as the heaters stay on in the hall then all will be good!

If it is cold to start with when it comes to the Micro National then I will start the day as I did today and put pins on as it gets warmer
----------------------------------
15.11 lap in Round 4 is what it's all about as far as I'm concerned! Shame I couldn't do it consistently as a let a bit of tiredness and frustration creep into my race. I'll line up behind Harris and Bish for the final, my lowest Micro qualifying of the season.



In terms of the car I have left the Pins on. They are quicker on individual laps but there is no room to push, it's very easy to get it wrong on the tyres. I will, as I always do, drive better at a National but it's fair to say I don't deserve to be on par with Harris and Bish today
-----------------------------------
Oh well, I came, I tried and I finished 2nd :-(. But I did get the fastest lap of the entire day 15.05 in the final!



Although I don't believe I've driven particularly well today I can come away with positives from the meeting. I know that I can be quick on Pins and safe on Blocks. Before deciding the starting set-up for the National I will wait to see the track.

Next month is shaping up to being an awesome event!

5 comments:

  1. Interesting read, can Craggis ever be beaten at a national this year?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting write up Craig.

    Not sure why you mentioned Oxley - as the slug was a full second and a half slow even on his fastest lap. That should get him into the C-final. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Simon - Criag has been out qualified this year but he drives so very well in the finals

    @Anon - It's Andy not Craig!! lol It's a bit harsh on Cris, he had the Carisma going the best I've seen him have it so far, he was tough to pass in the final

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry Andy. lol

    He's had it how long now? Oxley had his usual "rolling roadblock" thing going again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Anon - I had a mistake early on and got stuck behind Cris. At one point I did hit him and he needed marshalling so I had to wait! The car will get better and better with time, remember Cris has only had the RTR version of the car

    ReplyDelete