Sunday 13 March 2011

Race Day - Southport 13.03.11

So I arrive in Southport hoping that my Shark will get round the track in one piece! I'd like to spend today concentrating on sorting my Emax Motor and not rebuilding the car!

Practice came and went and to be fair the car went around the track, the grip role and rear wheel lifting I experienced last than 2 days ago at Ellesmere Port appears to have stayed at home!

Running the SP 6900kv motor sees me topping out half way down the straight so my Emax 4950kv goes straight in. I'm thinking about the length of straight at Ardent already so need to get the gearing right! It's now set on 18/45 and appears to be somewhat slow

Round 1 saw me up the timing to 15 degrees advance on the motor to see if that helped and it didn't really. However it was the quickest of the 8 Micros here today with me being an extra lap up on Chris Evison

Round 2 I threw the timing up to its maximum, 26.25 degrees advance and the car was so much quicker but even with the heatsink on it came off a little too hot for my own comfort levels!

For round 3 I've put green springs in the rear just to try and stiffen it up a little, see what effects it has on landing of the jumps and I've turned the motor timing down to 22.5 degrees, see what that does!

It's good to be playing around with things like this!!

Finally a problem in Round 3! On the last lap the car slowed down then kicked back in! It suggests and smells of thermaling but the car was cooler than the previous round, I believe the issue could be down to the LiPo so this race I've decided to leave everything the same with the exception of the LiPo.

That was alot better! A couple of errors meant I wasn't any faster but ultimately it was more important that the car last 5 mins with no cut out, it came off cooler also which is a bonus!

As it stands with the exception of Round 1 everyone in the race is being lapped so it's too tough to compare today but I'm still happy the car is going round!

As a result of what I believe is a dodgy LiPo I've purchased 2 1800 30c ones from Tony Mulligan who is unfortunately selling his Micro gear up.

Southport have just announced a 5th round of qualifying too, more races for my £5, bonus!

Round 5 and the final went off quite comfortably for me. My only concern was the motor worked itself loose so I'll need to keep an eye on that.





Back to a good starting base, bring on the next 2 weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment